NEW YORK — The WNBA Players' Association sent a counterproposal to the WNBA on Tuesday for a new collective bargaining agreement that included some concessions on revenue sharing and housing, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations.
The union is now asking for an average of 27.5% of the gross revenue — revenue before expenses — over the course of the CBA. That would include only 25% in the first year of the new deal. In its previous offer, the union had been asking for an average of more than 30%.
Under the proposal sent nearly two weeks ago, the league slightly increased its revenue sharing offer which would give players more than 70% of net revenue. That would be their take of the profits after expenses are paid. Those expenses would include upgraded facilities, charter flights, five-star hotels, medical services, security and arenas.
''The Players Association's latest proposal remains unrealistic and would cause hundreds of millions of dollars of losses for our teams," the WNBA said in a statement.
"We still need to complete two drafts and free agency before the start of training camp and are running out of time. We believe the WNBA's proposal would result in a huge win for current players and generations to come.''
The person said that the union also offered a counter on housing to the WNBA's previous proposal. Teams would continue to pay for housing for players in the first few years of the new agreement, but in the last two years of the deal the franchises would no longer have to pay for housing for players that are making near the maximum salary.
The league had offered housing to players for three years who were on minimum salary contracts as well as rookies in their first season. They would receive one-bedroom apartments paid for by the team. That would last for the first three years of the new CBA. After that players would have to pay for their housing.