UNITED NATIONS — Members of the United Nations Security Council called Wednesday for the Gaza ceasefire deal to become permanent and blasted Israeli efforts to expand control in the West Bank as a threat to prospects of a two-state solution, coming on the eve of President Donald Trump's first Board of Peace gathering to discuss the future of the Palestinian territories.
The high-level U.N. session in New York was originally scheduled for Thursday but was moved up after Trump announced the board's meeting for the same day and it became clear that it would complicate travel plans for diplomats planning to attend both. It is a sign of the potential for overlapping and conflicting agendas between the United Nations' most powerful body and Trump's new initiative, whose broader ambitions to broker global conflicts have raised concerns in some countries that it may attempt to rival the U.N. Security Council.
Pakistan, the only country on the 15-member council that also accepted an invitation to join the Board of Peace, denounced Israel's contentious West Bank settlement project during the meeting as ''null and void'' and said it constitutes a ''clear violation of international law.''
''Israel's recent illegal decisions to expand its control over the West Bank are gravely disturbing,'' Pakistani Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said.
The foreign ministers of the United Kingdom, Israel, Jordan, Egypt and Indonesia also attended the Security Council's monthly Mideast meeting after many Arab and Islamic countries requested last week that it discuss Gaza and the West Bank before some of them head to Washington.
''Annexation is a breach of the U.N. Charter and of the most fundamental rules of international law,'' Palestinian U.N. Ambassador Riyad Mansour said. ''It is a breach of President Trump's plan, and constitutes an existential threat to ongoing peace efforts.''
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said that attention was not on the U.N. session and that the focus of the international world would be on the Board of Peace meeting.
Saar also accused the council of being ''infected with an anti-Israeli obsession'' and insisted that no nation has a stronger right than its ''historical and documented right to the land of the Bible.''