GENEVA — A "campaign of destruction" in October by Sudanese paramilitary forces against non-Arab communities in and near a city in the country's western region of Darfur shows ''hallmarks of genocide,'' U.N.-backed human rights experts reported Thursday, a dramatic finding in the country's devastating war.
The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces — which are at war with the Sudanese military — carried out mass killings and other atrocities in the city of el-Fasher after an 18-month siege during which they imposed conditions ''calculated to bring about the physical destruction" of non-Arab communities, in particular the Zaghawa and the Fur communities, the independent fact-finding mission on Sudan reported.
U.N. officials say several thousand civilians were killed in the RSF takeover of el-Fasher, the Sudanese army's only remaining stronghold in the Darfur. Only 40% of the city's 260,000 residents managed to flee the onslaught alive, thousands of whom were wounded, the officials said. The fate of the rest remains unknown.
A brutal war
Sudan plunged into conflict in mid-April 2023, when long-simmering tensions between its military and paramilitary leaders broke out in the capital of Khartoum and spread to other regions, including Darfur. So far, the war has killed more than 40,000 people, according to U.N. figures, but aid groups say that's an undercount and the true number could be many times higher.
The RSF overran el-Fasher on Oct. 26 and rampaged through the city in an offensive marked by widespread atrocities that included mass killings and summary executions, sexual violence, torture, and abductions for ransom, according to the U.N. Human Rights Office.
They killed more than 6,000 people between Oct. 25 and Oct. 27 in the city, the office said. Ahead of the attack, the paramilitary forces ran riot in the Abu Shouk displacement camp, just outside of the city, and killed at least 300 people in two days, it said.
The RSF did not respond to an e-mailed request for comment. The group's commander, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, has previously acknowledged abuses by his fighters, but disputed the scale of atrocities.