METRO TOP 10
Just two weeks into the season (one-quarter of the regular season is already over. Wow.) and a few things are starting to become clear: Eden Prairie is still the benchmark for large-school success, Lakeville North hasn’t fallen nearly as far as many thought it would considering the amount of talent that graduated and an undefeated mark for anyone (other than Eden Prairie) is looking like a rare thing indeed.
1. Eden Prairie (2-0): Not much talk in the offseason about the Eagles offense, but it has scored 79 points against two good defenses.
2. Osseo (2-0): The Orioles led 42-7 at halftime before giving up three relatively meaningless touchdowns to Andover in the second half.
3. Prior Lake (2-0): Jamahl Johnson, a 320-pound nose tackle who also plays fullback, scored twice Friday. Expect a rash of trembling linebackers.
4. Lakeville North (2-0): Panthers senior QB Drew Stewart, a four-year vet who seems like he’s been around much longer, threw for three TDs against Eagan.
5. Burnsville (2-0): Following a 24-6 victory over Lakeville South, Burnsville coach Tyler Krebs called this Friday’s game against Lakeville North “the game of the week in Minnesota.” Yep.
6. Maple Grove (1-1): The Crimson has given up 58 points in two games. It’s pretty obvious where head coach Matt Lombardi, a defensive guru, is focused.
7. Totino-Grace (1-1): Friday’s 27-0 victory over Anoka was classic TG football: an efficient, ball-control offense and a smash-mouth defense.
8. Wayzata (2-0): Are the Trojans back? Eighty-nine points in two games says yes. That’s more than half of what they scored in eight regular-season games in 2014.
9. Rosemount (2-0): Rosemount built its program on fundamentals and physical play. Despite huge losses to graduation, coach Jeff Erdmann’s focus on the basics is paying off.
10. Armstrong (2-0): The Falcons have been impressive in two victories so far. We’ll know a lot more after Thursday’s game at rival Cooper.