If you've got a youngster who wants to hunt this fall, deadlines are fast approaching to apply for several organized youth hunts.
Here are details:
Youth waterfowl hunt
- For ages 12 to 15.
- Orientation is Friday, Sept. 11, hunt is Saturday, Sept. 12.
- Hunts near Twin Cities metro, Detroit Lakes, Morris, Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge near Princeton, Sherburn near Windom, and Fergus Falls.
- Apply by Aug. 10.
Youth deer hunts at refuges and state parks
- Ages 12 to 15 in 16 firearms hunts, ages 12 to 17 in two archery hunts.
- Hunts and orientations held on various dates in October and November.
- Locations at specific wildlife refuges and state parks throughout the state.
- Apply by Aug. 14.
Youth and family upland bird hunt
- For ages 12 to 17, and family members who want to hunt together.
- Hunts and orientations are Saturday, Oct. 17 or 24.
- Locations throughout Minnesota.
- Apply by Sept. 8.
Youth deer season
- For ages 10 to 15.
- Season is Thursday, Oct. 15, through Sunday, Oct. 18.
- Permit areas in southeastern and northwestern Minnesota and portions of the Twin Cities metro area.
- 27 deer permit areas are open to hunt, see hunting regulations book or DNR hunting page at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/deer for permit areas.
Take a Kid Hunting Weekend
- From Saturday, Sept. 26, to Sunday, Sept. 27, adult residents, accompanied by a youth under age 16, can hunt small game without a license, but must comply with open seasons, limits and other regulations.
Application forms and more information can be found at www.mndnr.gov/discover, or by calling the DNR iInformation center, 651-296-6157 or
888-646-6367, or Mike Kurre, DNR mentoring program coordinator, 651-259-5193.
Camp Ripley archery hunts
This isn't a youth hunt, but applications also are being taken for the popular regular archery deer hunts at Camp Ripley near Little Falls. The deadline is Aug. 14.
Hunters may pick from one of two hunting seasons: Oct. 15-16 (Thursday and Friday, code 668) or Oct. 31 to Nov. 1 (Saturday and Sunday, code 669).
Hunters may choose from four options to apply for the Camp Ripley archery hunts:
- Through any of 1,500 electronic licensing agents located throughout Minnesota.
- By telephone at 888-665-4236.
- Through the DNR’s online licensing site, www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses.
- At the DNR license center, 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul.
A total of 4,000 permits, with 2,000 per two-day hunt, will be made available. Successful applicants must buy a valid archery license before the beginning of shooting hours the day of their hunt to participate. The bag limit for this year’s hunt is one, and bonus permits may be used to take antlerless deer. Hunt rules and instructions are posted on the DNR deer hunting Web page at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/deer.