Panthers beat Senators for their 11th victory in a row
OTTAWA, Ontario – The Florida Panthers extended their franchise-best win streak to 11 games with a 3-2 victory over the Ottawa Senators on Thursday night. Roberto Luongo won his career-high ninth straight start in goal, and Reilly Smith and Vincent Trocheck scored 8 seconds apart in the first period.
• LECAVALIER MAKES KINGS DEBUT: Vincent Lecavalier had an assist in his L.A. debut as the host Kings beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 2-1. Lecavalier, acquired in a trade with Tampa Bay on Wednesday, played solidly a few hours after their cross-country flight. It was his first game since Nov. 12.
• ROAD WINGS: The Detroit Red Wings improved to 3-0 on their six-game road trip with a 2-1 victory over the San Jose Sharks. Petr Mrazek has started each of those three games and allowed four goals in that time. The Sharks fell to a league-worst 5-12 at home.
• OVECHKIN, HOLTBY STAR: Alex Ovechkin scored his 497th career goal and goaltender Braden Holtby kept up his stellar play as the Washington Capitals beat the host New York Islanders 4-1. Holtby improved to 18-0-2 in his past 21 games.
• STARS END LOSING STREAK: The host Dallas Stars ended a season-high three-game losing streak with a 2-1 shootout victory over the Winnipeg Jets. Patrick Sharp extended his career-best point streak to 11 games, the longest current run in the NHL.
• FLAMES LOSE AT HOME: The Calgary Flames lost at home for only the third time in 15 games, falling 2-1 to the Arizona Coyotes.