Colgate star signs with Blackhawks
The Chicago Blackhawks agreed to terms with 22-year-old right winger Kyle Baun, a coveted college free agent from Colgate.
Baun, 6-2 and 204 pounds, had 39 goals and 40 assists in 113 college games. He will not be eligible for the postseason this year.
"Exciting for us, knowing we got the guy everyone was looking for," Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said. "He gives us some size. We'll see how he can handle it, how the pace is different from college to pros.
"He's a pretty exciting prospect."
• RANGERS MAKE PLAYOFFS: Chris Kreider had two goals and an assist and the New York Rangers clinched a playoff spot with a 5-1 win over the host Ottawa Senators. The Rangers handed Ottawa's Andrew Hammond (14-1-1) the first regulation-time loss of his NHL career. They also ended Ottawa's seven-game winning streak.
• HOWARD YANKED: Jimmy Howard gave up three goals in the first period, including one just 19 seconds in, before being pulled for Petr Mrazek as the host Detroit Red Wings lost to the San Jose Sharks 6-4. Detroit coach Mike Babcock said Mrazek will start the next game.
• FLYING HIGH: Ondrej Pavelec made 39 saves for his sixth consecutive win, leading the host Winnipeg Jets to a 5-2 victory over the Montreal Canadiens. Dustin Byfuglien, back on the ice after missing nine games because of an upper-body injury, scored his 16th goal of the season. Teammate Blake Wheeler scored his 24th.
• KINGS JUMP FLAMES: The Los Angeles Kings won their third straight on their road trip by beating the New York Islanders 3-2. That puts them in third place in the Pacific Division, one point ahead of Calgary.
• BUMBLING BRUINS: The Boston Bruins lost their sixth in a row, giving up a goal to Ryan Getzlaf 3:09 into overtime in a 3-2 home loss to the Anaheim Ducks. Getzlaf also assisted on Corey Perry's tying goal with 39 seconds left in the third period.
• BY THE NUMBERS: Oliver Ekman-Larsson scored his 21st goal of the season in the Arizona Coyotes' 4-3 overtime victory over the host Buffalo Sabres, breaking Nicklas Lidstrom's record for goals in a season by a Swedish defenseman. ... Goaltender Pekka Rinne picked up his 40th win of the season as the Nashville Predators moved into first place in the Central Division by beating the host Tampa Bay Lightning 3-2.
• BADGERS GOALIE SIGNS: San Jose signed former Wisconsin goalie Joel Rumpel to a one-year contract and assigned him to Worcester of the AHL.
• DISCIPLINED: Arizona radio analyst Nick Boynton was placed on a leave of absence by the team after being involved in a disturbance at the Buffalo Creek Casino.