Castro sends Astros to sweep
• HOUSTON 3, LOS ANGELES 0: Jason Castro hit a three-run homer with two outs in the ninth inning to give the host Astros a three-game sweep of the Angels on Thursday night. Houston moved two games up on Los Angeles in the AL West. Scoreless going into the bottom of the inning, Jed Lowrie drew a one-out walk and Marwin Gonzalez singled with two outs before Castro launched his shot off Fernando Salas into the right-field seats. Scott Kazmir gave up three hits and struck out five in 7⅔ scoreless innings in the first start for the Astros in his hometown.
• TEXAS 7, NEW YORK 6: Josh Hamilton delivered a walk-off RBI single with two outs in the ninth inning for the host Rangers. Hamilton also hit a three-run homer. Yankees starter CC Sabathia was taken to the hospital because of symptoms of dehydration; it was 101 degrees at the start of the game.
• BOSTON 8, CHICAGO 2: Xander Bogaerts and David Ortiz each had three hits and the host Red Sox beat Chris Sale to end the White Sox's seven-game winning streak. Jose Abreu hit a two-run homer for the White Sox, who ended their road trip 7-1.
• TORONTO 5, KANSAS CITY 2: Dioner Navarro hit a two-run homer, Russell Martin and Josh Donaldson added solo shots and the host Blue Jays beat the Royals. The Blue Jays have homered in 12 consecutive games since the All-Star break.
• DETROIT 9, BALTIMORE 8: Yoenis Cespedes homered and drove in three runs and the Tigers beat the host Orioles after shifting into rebuilding mode by trading two of their best pitchers.
• CLEVELAND 3, OAKLAND 1: Carlos Carrasco didn't give up a hit after the first inning, pitching a two-hitter for the Indians' third consecutive complete game in beating the host Athletics.
Upton's homer caps wet rally
• NEW YORK 8, SAN DIEGO 7: Justin Upton hit a three-run homer through a driving rain with two outs in the ninth inning, and the Padres overcame a six-run deficit during a game delayed nearly four hours by two storms. The host Mets led 7-5 with two out in the ninth before a torrential downpour stopped play. When play resumed 44 minutes later, Derrick Norris and Matt Kemp singled off Jeurys Familia before Upton, in what could be his final at-bat with San Diego, homered to right-center.
• CINCINNATI 15, PITTSBURGH 5: Brandon Phillips hit a pair of three-run homers and drove in a career-high seven runs, powering the Reds to a victory that kept the Pirates winless in Cincinnati this season. Cincinnati is 8-2 vs. Pittsburgh this year.
• ST. LOUIS 9, COLORADO 8: Matt Carpenter hit a pair of home runs and Greg Garcia's bases-loaded walk capped a three-run rally in the ninth inning as the host Cardinals handed Rockies closer John Axford his third loss in four outings.
• CHICAGO 5, MILWAUKEE 2: Anthony Rizzo hit a three-run homer with two out in the eighth inning, and the Cubs won for the third time in four games by beating the host Brewers, who wasted seven innings of two-hit ball by Jimmy Nelson.
• WASHINGTON 1, MIAMI 0: Max Scherzer scattered three hits over seven innings, Jonathan Papelbon got his first save and the host Nationals beat the Marlins.
• PHILADELPHIA 4, ATLANTA 1: Domonic Brown homered and Aaron Harang ended his losing streak at eight starts, leading the host Phillies over the Braves.