Rays take sole possession of first
• TAMPA BAY 3, OAKLAND 0: Alex Colome and four relievers combined on a four-hitter, and David DeJesus drove in two runs as the host Rays beat the Athletics on Thursday night to take sole possession of first place in the AL East. Colome gave up four hits over five innings. DeJesus had an RBI double in the fourth and hit a solo homer during a two-run seventh that put Tampa Bay up 3-0.
• BALTIMORE 5, SEATTLE 4: Steve Pearce hit his first career grand slam, J.J. Hardy singled in the tiebreaking run in the eighth inning and the Orioles weathered a lengthy rain delay to beat the visiting Mariners.
• TORONTO 8, LOS ANGELES 4: R.A. Dickey stopped a two-start losing streak with a complete game, and Edwin Encarnacion hit a three-run homer as the Blue Jays beat the visiting Angels.
• TEXAS 3, BOSTON 1: Mitch Moreland hit a solo homer and drove in two runs, Wandy Rodriguez pitched 6⅔ solid innings to lead the Rangers over the Red Sox at Fenway Park.
• CLEVELAND 5, CHICAGO 2: Danny Salazar tossed six scoreless innings and was backed by first-inning home runs from Nick Swisher and Mike Aviles, leading the Indians past the host White Sox.
Mets' DeGrom nearly perfect
• NEW YORK 5, ST. LOUIS 0: Jacob deGrom allowed only a first-inning single in eight innings, and Lucas Duda hit two long homers to nearly the same spot during the Mets' victory over the visiting Cardinals. DeGrom struck out 11. Michael Cuddyer had his first three-hit game of the season for the Mets.
• SAN FRANCISCO 4, LOS ANGELES 0: Madison Bumgarner homered off Clayton Kershaw and once again outpitched the reigning NL Cy Young winner, as the Giants shut out the Dodgers for the third consecutive day. Bumgarner worked around seven hits and two walks in 6⅓ innings, striking out six. He improved to 9-3 in his past 13 starts against the Dodgers.
• ARIZONA 7, MIAMI 6: A.J. Pollock beat out a run-scoring infield hit with two out in the eighth inning, and soon after that the Diamondbacks completed their first four-game sweep in seven seasons by beating the Marlins. It's the fifth four-game road sweep in Diamondbacks history. The Marlins mishandled two sacrifice bunts, including one in the eighth, and fell to 0-7 on their homestand. Arizona's Yasmany Tomas had two hits for his sixth consecutive multi-hit game. He doubled home a run in the first.
• COLORADO 7, PHILADELPHIA 3: Michael McKenry hit a two-run homer and Jorge De La Rosa became Colorado's career strikeouts leader as the Rockies beat the Phillies in Denver. De La Rosa fanned Freddy Galvis in the fourth for this 774th strikeout in a Rockies uniform, moving past Ubaldo Jimenez.
• ATLANTA 10, MILWAUKEE 1: Julio Teheran pitched seven strong innings and the Braves took advantage of Milwaukee reliever Will Smith's seventh-inning ejection for allegedly using pine tar to rout the visiting Brewers.
• CHICAGO 3, SAN DIEGO 0: Kyle Hendricks pitched a five-hitter for his first career complete game and shutout, and Kris Bryant hit a two-run homer as the Cubs beat the Padres in San Diego.