Xavier suffers its first loss
• NO. 16 VILLANOVA 95, NO. 6 XAVIER 64: Ryan Arcidiacono made seven three-pointers and scored 27 points as the host Wildcats (11-2, 1-0) thumped the Musketeers (12-1, 0-1) in the Big East opener for both teams. Xavier didn't seem to recover emotionally after freshman standout Edmond Sumner was taken off the court on a stretcher after a hard fall just 2:21 into the game. Xavier coach Chris Mack called it "the scariest thing that I've ever been a part of." Said Mack: "Long term, he's going to be fine. He was walking and talking. Has a horrendous headache."
• CREIGHTON 80, ST. JOHN'S 70: Geoffrey Groselle, a 7-foot senior center, had 22 points on 9-for-10 shooting to lead the visiting Bluejays (10-4, 1-0) past the Red Storm (7-7, 0-1) in the Big East opener for both teams. Groselle has shot 25-for-27 from the field in his past three games.
• NO. 12 PROVIDENCE 81, NO. 9 BUTLER 73: Rodney Bullock scored a career-high 25 points and Kris Dunn had 20 points, nine assists and seven rebounds to lead the visiting Friars (13-1) over the Bulldogs (11-2). Providence has won seven straight and is off to its best start in 27 years. Butler had won eight in a row.
• WICHITA STATE 67, DRAKE 47: The Shockers (7-5, 1-0 Missouri Valley) have won 38 consecutive home games, matching Tulsa (1980-82) for the fourth-longest string in MVC history.
• GONZAGA CENTER OUT FOR SEASON: Gonzaga center Przemek Karnowski, one of the nation's best big men the past three seasons, will miss the rest of the season after undergoing back surgery.
big ten women
• NO. 6 MARYLAND 79, ILLINOIS 63: Brionna Jones had a career-high 19 rebounds for the Terrapins (12-1, 1-0) in their road win over the Illini (7-5, 0-1).
• NO. 9 OHIO STATE 85, NO. 24 MICHIGAN STATE 80: Kelsey Mitchell scored 25 points as the host Buckeyes (9-3, 1-0) beat the Spartans (9-3, 0-1). Four Michigan State players fouled out.
• PENN STATE 79, NO . 14 NORTHWESTERN 72: The host Nittany Lions (6-6, 1-0) beat the Wildcats (11-2, 0-1) for the 10th straight time.
• PURDUE 65, MICHIGAN 63: Ashley Morrissette made a three-pointer with seven seconds left as the visiting Boilermakers (10-2, 1-0) overcame a six-point deficit with three minutes to go. The Wolverines (8-4, 0-1) had a chance to force overtime, but freshman Boogie Brozoski missed two of three free-throw attempts.
• IOWA 74, NEBRASKA 68: Iowa (11-2, 1-0) outrebounded host Nebraska (9-3, 0-1) 51-29 and the Hawkeyes beat the Cornhuskers for the fourth straight time.
• WISCONSIN 73, INDIANA 69: Nicole Bauman scored 12 of her 24 points in the fourth quarter as the host Badgers (5-6, 1-0) beat the Hoosiers (8-5, 0-1).