Gophers volleyball players Alexis Hart, Stephanie Samedy and Samantha Seliger-Swenson were picked for the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s All-North Region team on Tuesday, while Molly Lohman was named honorable mention.
Samedy also was named the region’s freshman of the year.
Head coach at 27
The University of Mary named Craig Bagnell its football coach. Bagnell, 27, will be the youngest head coach in college football. A four-year starter at quarterback for the Bismarck, N.D., school, Bagnell spent the past three seasons as the offensive coordinator for Bemidji State.
• Minnesota Morris co-head football coach Marty Hoffman was named the Cougars head coach. Matthew Johnson, the other co-head coach last season, will be the team’s associate head coach.
• George Adzick, the director of the ‘M’ Club for 11-plus years, will retire next month.
• Concordia (St. Paul) junior kicker Jonas Schenderlein is one of 13 finalists for the 2017 Fred Mitchell Award. Six Division I kickers, six Division II kickers, including Schenderlein, and one Division III kicker are finalists for the award, presented for performance on the field as well as community service. The winner will be named Monday.
• Wisconsin-La Crosse senior receiver Nick Holcomb, Wisconsin-Oshkosh senior quarterback Brett Kasper, Wartburg junior quarterback Matt Sacia and Springfield (Mass.) senior fullback Jordan Wilcox were named finalists for the Gagliardi Trophy, which recognizes excellence in athletics, academics and community service. It will be presented on Dec. 13.
• Gustavus is sixth and St. Thomas ninth in the uscho.com women’s hockey poll. … Augsburg is seventh in the men’s hockey poll by the same website.
• Sioux Falls junior pole vaulter Kimberly Peterson was named the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association women’s Division II athlete of the week. She cleared 13-3½ to win her event in the South Dakota State Holiday Open.
• Corpus Christi’s Larry Jungwirth, of Bloomington, was named the North American Hockey League’s forward of the month for November while Austin’s Alex Schilling, of Medina, was named the goalie of the month.