Here are the top-read news stories published by the Star Tribune in 2019.
1. New documents revisit questions about Rep. Ilhan Omar's marriage history: New investigative documents released by a state agency have given fresh life to lingering questions about the marital history of Rep. Ilhan Omar and whether she once married a man — possibly her own brother — to skirt immigration laws.
2. Irwin Jacobs, wife Alexandra dead in murder-suicide: Prominent Twin Cities businessman Irwin Jacobs and his wife, Alexandra, were found dead in their Lake Minnetonka home in an apparent murder-suicide, according to a close friend and business associate.
3. 'This is Jayme Closs! Call 911!' Missing Wisconsin 13-year-old found alive: Jayme Closs, the 13-year-old girl missing since her parents were shot to death in their Barron, Wis., home three months ago, was found bedraggled and malnourished but alive after seeking help from neighbors in a remote rural area in northwestern Wisconsin.
4. Man held after boy is thrown from MOA balcony was told to stay away: A Twin Cities man accused of throwing a child over a third-floor railing at the Mall of America has a history of mental health problems and had twice been ordered to stay away from the mall, court records show.
5. Minneapolis police identify man arrested after school bus driver shot on highway: The driver of a school bus with one student aboard was shot while behind the wheel in an apparent road rage incident south of downtown Minneapolis and the suspected gunman was quickly arrested, authorities said.
6. Back with family after escaping abductor, Jayme Closs 'is the hero': Held captive for 88 days, Jayme Closs fell into the arms of her family, having freed herself from the man authorities believe murdered her parents and then kept her against her will in a secluded home in northwestern Wisconsin. “Jayme is the hero in this case, there’s no question about it,” said Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald. “It’s amazing, the will of that 13-year-old girl to survive and escape.”
7. Milwaukee toddler Noelani Robinson's short life ends in a Minnesota ditch: Noelani Robinson's body was found along Hwy. 218 in Steele County in southern Minnesota. She had been the subject of an Amber Alert after her mother was killed in Milwaukee.
8. Two children, parents dead in apparent triple murder-suicide in south Minneapolis: Man kills sons and ex-wife, then himself, in south Minneapolis. A police officer at the scene was heard telling emergency dispatch minutes after the gunshots rang out: “Dad showed up, shot the kids and went in the house.”
9. Mohamed Noor guilty of third-degree murder, manslaughter in killing of Justine Ruszczyk Damond: Mohamed Noor became the first former Minnesota police officer found guilty of an on-duty murder as a Hennepin County jury convicted him for the fatal shooting of Justine Ruszczyk Damond in 2017.
10. Bde Maka Ska is Lake Calhoun, Court of Appeals rules: Lake Calhoun is back on the map: The state Court of Appeals ruled Monday that former Department of Natural Resources Commissioner Tom Landwehr lacked authority last year to change the name of the lake to Bde Maka Ska (White Earth Lake), so the lake’s name legally remains Calhoun.