Butternut Squash Barley Risotto With Chorizo
Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish.
Note: Barley serves as the base of a risotto-style dish. From "Coast: Recipes inspired by Ireland's wild Atlantic coast," by Rachel Allen, which will be published in March.
• Small butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled, deseeded and chopped into 1/2- to 3/4-in. cubes
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 7 oz. chorizo, peeled if cured, and cut into 1/4 in. slices (soft, fresh chorizo doesn't need peeling)
• 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 11 oz. pearl barley
• 1 3/4 pints (3 1/2 c.) chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Toss squash cubes in the olive oil, then put on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, or until soft.
Put the chorizo in a dry frying pan on low heat and cook until fat renders out. Transfer to a plate, leaving oil in pan.
Add onion to the pan, season with salt and pepper and sweat for 5 minutes. Return chorizo to pan, add the pearl barley and cook for 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the pearl barley is just cooked.
Gently stir through the roasted butternut squash and rosemary and heat through, then season to taste and serve.