An 81-year-old man said he shot and killed a popular Twin Cities-area teacher over the weekend in central Minnesota because he thought the victim had stolen $50 and farm parts, according to a charge filed Tuesday.

Timothy Larson, 43, of Albertville, was found fatally shot in the chest Saturday morning about 15 miles west of Paynesville. A special education teacher for three years at St. Michael-Albertville Middle School West, he had taught previously in Elk River and St. Francis.

Delbert Huber, 81, of Paynesville, was charged with second-degree murder. His son, Timothy Huber, 45, also of Paynesville, was charged with aiding his father at some point leading up to or after the shooting.

The Hubers remain in the Kandiyohi County jail, with bail set at $5 million for Delbert Huber and $1 million for his son.

According to the criminal complaints:

Delbert Huber called the Sheriff's Office on Saturday to report that he had shot Larson several hours earlier. Sheriff's deputies arrived at the home of Larson's father, found Larson's body and met with both Hubers.

The older Huber told the deputies that he and Larson argued the previous night. Delbert Huber said that Larson's father, Norman, had hired him and his son to do chores while Larson's father was out of town for a wedding.

Delbert Huber said Timothy Larson came to the property to hunt for the weekend and wanted the Hubers to move their farm machinery off the land and not return until Monday.

The older Huber added that he suspected that Timothy Larson took about $50 from his son's wallet, and also took some tractor parts.

Timothy Huber said that he, his father and another man moved the equipment to neighboring property, finishing the task at about 1 a.m. Saturday.

The Hubers returned to the Larson property Saturday morning, with Delbert Huber armed with a rifle and blaming Timothy Larson for "our stuff getting busted up."

Delbert Huber said he was angry and wanted to confront Timothy Larson about the missing money and farm parts.

While Timothy Huber went to the barn to feed cattle and chickens, Delbert Huber remained in the car.

Timothy Larson arrived and was confronted by Delbert Huber as they both stood outside their vehicles in the drive.

"I thought I could go and grab the rifle and make him admit he took the money and get the money back," Delbert Huber told authorities. Delbert Huber shot Timothy Larson, noting that he was "dead right away," he told investigators.

At first, Timothy Huber told authorities that his father and Timothy Larson had gotten into a fistfight but later admitted that he saw no altercation.

Timothy Huber then said that while he was in the barn he heard his father and Timothy Larson arguing, and then heard gunfire. Timothy Huber added that his father said "That's it," and directed him to finish the chores.


A memorial fund has been established through Wells Fargo for Larson’s wife and two sons. Anyone can go to a Wells Fargo Bank branch and contribute to the Tim Larson Memorial Trust Fund.

Paul Walsh • 612-673-4482