Floyd Mayweather Jr. will return to the ring for the first time since boxing's richest fight ever, facing Andre Berto on Sept. 12 in what Mayweather has said will be his final fight.
The welterweight title bout doesn't figure to be nearly as lucrative as Mayweather's May 2 fight with Manny Pacquiao that earned him a reported $220 million. But it will still be sold on pay-per-view, even though Mayweather will be an overwhelming favorite to win for the 49th time in as many fights as a pro.
Berto, a 2004 Olympian, was once thought of as a rising star but has lost three of his past six fights. Two of those losses were to Robert Guerrero and Victor Ortiz, fighters that Mayweather beat easily.
"I always bring my A-game and this fight against Andre Berto is no exception," Mayweather said in announcing the bout. "He's a young, strong fighter who is hungry to take down the best."
The fight is the last in a six-bout deal Mayweather has with Showtime, and the boxer has said repeatedly he will retire when the deal is finished. The 38-year-old retired once before but came back to fight after taking a short break.
Stephen Espinoza, executive vice president and general manager for Showtime Sports, dismissed criticism that the fight looks like a mismatch, saying there were complications trying to do a deal with Amir Khan and not a big pool of other fighters to choose from.
"He's one of those fighters who never fails to entertain," Espinoza said about Berto (30-3).
Canucks' Sutter signs extension
The Vancouver Canucks signed recently acquired center Brandon Sutter to a five-year contract extension at an average annual value of $4.375 million per season.
The Canucks acquired the 6-3, 190-pound Sutter and a third-round draft pick in 2016 from the Pittsburgh Penguins last week for Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a 2016 second-round draft pick.
The 26-year-old Sutter, who has a cap hit of $3.3 million in 2015-16, was set to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, but the son of former NHL player and coach Brent Sutter now is under contract through 2020-21.
Irish RB won't play this year
Notre Dame will be without Greg Bryant, its second leading rusher in 2014, for the upcoming season because of disciplinary reasons, coach Brian Kelly announced.
"There are certain expectations within our program that must be met on a daily basis," Kelly said in a statement. "Quite simply, Greg did not meet those expectations."
Kelly previously had suspended Bryant for the first four games of this season for violating team rules. Kelly said Bryant will be allowed to practice with the team and remains on scholarship. Bryant, a five-star recruit from Delray Beach, Fla., ran for 289 yards on 54 carries last season, a 5.4 yards per carry average.
• Wake Forest suspended offensive lineman Ryan Anderson five games and defensive back Thomas Brown one for violating team rules. Wake also added graduate transfer Deven Gaulden from Wisconsin. Gaulden, a defensive back, started five games last season for the Badgers.
AROUND THE HORN
WNBA: Kelsey Bone had 17 points, 10 rebounds and six assists to help the host Connecticut Sun beat the San Antonio Stars 82-51 for coach Anne Donovan's 200th career WNBA victory. Donovan is the first female coach — and fourth overall — to reach the milestone. San Antonio (6-15) lost by 30-plus for the second time in four days. … Elena Delle Donne had 19 points, six rebounds, six assists and four blocks in just 23 minutes as the host Chicago Sky defeated the Indiana Fever 106-82.
NBA: Utah Jazz point guard Dante Exum injured his left knee while playing for the Australian national team at Slovenia. His left knee buckled while he was untouched.