Advertisement

Sports briefly: Dustin Johnson won't golf for U.S. in Olympics

March 3, 2020 at 2:08AM
Advertisement

On the fence about the Olympics at the start of the year, Dustin Johnson decided he won't be going.

Johnson's manager said in a text message Monday that the FedEx Cup playoffs hold as much importance to Johnson as chasing a gold medal in Tokyo this summer.

"I feel certain he would choose otherwise if the timing were different, but feels he is making the best decision under the circumstances," said David Winkle of Hambric Sports Management.

Johnson's name was removed from the Olympic golf ranking Monday afternoon. At No. 5 in the world ranking, he would have been No. 3 among Americans behind Brooks Koepka and Justin Thomas. Countries are allowed a maximum of four players in golf provided they are among the top 15 in the world ranking.

Golfweek first reported Johnson's decision.

Johnson was the leading American for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro when he decided at the last minute to withdraw because of concerns over the Zika virus.

This was more about the FedEx Cup and the lucrative prize Johnson has yet to win. The top prize is now worth $15 million.

Asked about the Olympics at the beginning of the year, Johnson said he wasn't sure how his schedule would be in the summer with the Tokyo Games coming after the final major and before the FedEx Cup playoffs.

Advertisement

"Having had a few close calls in the playoffs, he really wants to win them before his time is done and feels that he wouldn't be giving himself the best opportunity to do so if he added a lengthy international trip," Winkle said.

With just over three months before Olympic qualifying ends, the leading four Americans are Koepka, Thomas, Patrick Cantlay and Webb Simpson, following by Patrick Reed and Tiger Woods. There are still three majors, The Players Championship and a World Golf Championship — all offering big ranking points — before qualifying ends on June 21 after the U.S. Open.

baseball

Qualifying postponed

Baseball's final qualifying event for the Tokyo Olympics has been postponed from April to June because of concerns over the virus outbreak that has infected nearly 89,000 people and caused more than 3,000 deaths, mostly in China.

The World Baseball Softball Conference announced the qualification event scheduled for Taichung and Dou Liu in Taiwan from April 1-5 had been postponed to June 17-21 because of "player, personnel and spectator health and safety measures against the spread of the coronavirus."

Hundreds of new cases of the virus that causes the COVID-19 disease have been announced in recent days outside of China. There have been 40 cases and one death in Taiwan.

The Olympics are scheduled to open July 24, with baseball competition set to be played at Fukushima and Yokohama from July 29 to Aug. 8.

Advertisement
College football

Spielman to miss time

Nebraska receiver JD Spielman has gone home to deal with an unspecified health matter and probably will miss all of spring practice.

"Everyone's focus right now is on JD's well-being and providing him with the appropriate support," coach Scott Frost said Monday. "We anticipate JD returning to the team in time for summer conditioning."

Spielman is from Eden Prairie and going into his senior year. He led the Cornhuskers with 49 catches for 898 yards and five touchdowns last season. He's the first Nebraska player with three 800-yard receiving seasons.

Spring practice opens March 9.

around the horn

NFL: Jacksonville standout defensive end Yannick Ngakoue said he no longer wants to sign a long-term deal with the Jaguars, becoming the third Pro Bowler in less than a year to essentially give up on the team. Ngakoue announced his desire to play elsewhere via social media, a move that could force Jacksonville to place the franchise tag on the 24-year-old disgruntled defender and trade him.

Baseball: Hall of Fame third baseman Chipper Jones joined the ESPN lineup. The former Atlanta Braves star will work as a major league analyst, primarily on weeknight and holiday games. He'll debut on opening day when San Francisco plays at Dodger Stadium on March 26.

Advertisement

ASSOCIATED PRESS

about the writer

about the writer

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement