Spiced Chicken and Vegetable Couscous
Note: While this dish does serve a crowd, I don't mind making it for only my family, as the leftovers are wonderful served cold as a salad on a bed of spinach. From Meredith Deeds.
• 1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 1 red onion, cut into small dice
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
• 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into small dice
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
• 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 1 1/3 c. couscous, preferably whole wheat
• 2 c. coarsely shredded rotisserie chicken
• 1/4 c. golden raisins
• 2 c. boiling water
• 1/2 c. sliced almonds
• 1/2 c. roughly chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
In a medium skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and zucchini and sauté for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the cinnamon, ginger, cumin, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for another 30 seconds until the vegetables are crispy/tender and the spices are fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the couscous and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté until the couscous is lightly browned and toasty. Remove from the heat. Immediately add the chicken, raisins and boiling water. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and gently fold in the almonds and the cilantro. Add vegetable mixture.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 240 Fat 8 g Sodium 212 mg Saturated fat 1 g
Carbohydrates 27 g Calcium 49 mg
Protein 16 g Cholesterol 30 mg Dietary fiber 5 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 bread/starch, 1½ lean meat, ½ fat.