NAIROBI, Kenya — Humanitarian group Doctors Without Borders said one of its hospitals in South Sudan was hit by an airstrike carried out by government forces.
The incident, on Tuesday night, marks the 10th attack in 12 months on a medical facility in the country run by the group, which is also known as Médecins Sans Frontières, or MSF.
The hospital is located in Lankien, a town in the state of Jonglei where opposition-held areas have been at the center of renewed fighting in recent weeks between government troops and opposition forces.
Lankien had been evacuated hours before Tuesday airstrike after MSF received information about a possible attack. One staff member was injured, and the hospital's main warehouse was destroyed along with medical supplies, the group said in a statement.
''MSF shared the GPS coordinates of our facilities with the government and other parties to the conflict,'' operations manager Gul Badshah said. ''The government of South Sudan armed forces are the only armed party with the capacity to perform aerial attacks in the country."
Government spokesman Ateny Wek Ateny and army spokesman Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang did not respond to requests for comment.
In a separate incident earlier on Tuesday, a MSF facility in the village of Pieri was looted by ''unknown assailants,'' the group said. Pieri is also in opposition-held Jonglei.
MSF said the two facilities were the only health provider for about 250,000 people.