PHILADELPHIA — An exhibit detailing the lives of nine people enslaved by President George Washington in Philadelphia is being reinstalled on Thursday, despite an ongoing legal fight between the city and the Trump administration.
The stories and images that had been on display for two decades were abruptly removed last month following an executive order by President Donald Trump. The city subsequently sued for the exhibit to be rehung and a federal judge set a Friday deadline for its full restoration.
Mayor Cherelle Parker visited Independence Mall — the site of the former President's House — on Thursday morning.
''I want you to know I'm grateful,'' Parker said as she introduced herself to several of the National Park Service workers lifting large panels back onto the display area. Parker is the first Black woman to be elected mayor in Philadelphia.
''It's our honor,'' one replied. The restoration work was expected to continue through Friday.
The U.S. Attorney's Office, which is appealing Senior U.S. District Judge Cynthia Rufe's ruling, declined to comment on the restoration work, a spokesperson said.
Trump's order called for ''restoring truth and sanity to American history'' at the nation's museums, parks and landmarks. The administration argued that it alone can decide what stories are told at Park Service properties around the country.
''Although many people feel strongly about this (slavery exhibit) one way, other people may disagree or feel strongly another way,'' Assistant U.S. Attorney Gregory in den Berken argued during a Jan. 30 court hearing.