• Edina native Kieffer Bellows, the son of former North Stars forward Brian Bellows, is having a banner year with the U.S. National Development Team, as he has 17 points in 10 games. The younger Bellows, projected as a top pick in next year's NHL draft, wasn't recruited by the Gophers and is headed to Boston University.
• Marian Gaborik is in his third season with the Kings, his third team since leaving the Wild, but he had only 12 points in 33 games through the NHL's Christmas break.
• Former Eden Prairie football player Nick Davidson, the son of Vikings offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, is a member of the Stanford Rose Bowl team that will face Iowa on Friday. Davidson has played in all 12 games this year. He spent some time with the Cardinal basketball team last season, too.
• Frank Ragnow, the former Chanhassen standout, started all 12 games at center for Arkansas as a sophomore. He will be in the lineup for Saturday's Liberty Bowl vs. Kansas State.
• Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman speaking about former Twins outfielder Aaron Hicks, acquired for catcher John Ryan Murphy: "We think Aaron Hicks is an everyday player. We believe he's figured a lot of things out in the last year."
• Playing well in Winter League baseball for the Twins are Kennys Vargas, who was hitting .312 with six home runs and 17 RBI in 30 games in Puerto Rico, and Danny Santana, who was hitting .305 with seven extra-base hits in 25 games in the Dominican Republic.
• A Christmas card from former Gophers men's basketball coach Tubby Smith reported Texas Tech is 9-1 and is looking for a successful season.
• Lakeville South product J.P. Macura is averaging 20.0 minutes, 8.9 points, 2.6 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game for No. 6 Xavier (12-0).