• Former Holy Angels wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald Jr. is having a great year for the Arizona Cardinals after struggling last season. The 12-year NFL veteran has caught 35 passes for 490 yards and six touchdowns in five games. Last season he had only two touchdowns and 784 receiving yards all season, missing two games. His Cardinals teammate Michael Floyd, the former Cretin-Derham Hall wideout, has not been a big part of the offense, catching only eight passes for 104 yards this year.
• Speaking of the Cardinals, Tom Moore, the 76-year-old Owatonna, Minn., native and former Gophers and Vikings assistant, is an assistant head coach for them, and rest assured he is a big reason they are 4-1 this season. Moore is in his 52nd year of coaching and 38th in the NFL.
• The Timberwolves got another look at Anthony Bennett, the 2013 No. 1 overall pick for the Cavaliers who came here along with Andrew Wiggins in the Kevin Love deal and then was bought out of his contract last month. Bennett ended up with the Raptors, who just played two exhibition games with the Wolves in Canada. On Monday in Toronto, he had three points and five rebounds in 20 minutes, and on Wednesday in Ottawa he had 10 points and eight rebounds along with three steals.
• Speaking of Love, he hasn't played since separating his shoulder last postseason, though media reports say he should make his preseason debut Sunday against Toronto. He missed 16 playoff games last season as the Cavs reached the NBA Finals without him.
• San Diego media are speculating that former Twins manager Ron Gardenhire has a good chance to get the Padres job, for which he was expected to interview. He also was supposed to interview with the Nationals for their managerial vacancy.