• Former Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder talked to Raiders.com about the fact that even though he is only 27 years old, he will be Oakland’s oldest quarterback with Derek Carr 24 and Matt McGloin 25. “It’s an interesting change,” Ponder said. “I think I’ve always been in a quarterback room where there was a guy older than me. It’s only going to be my fifth year, and to be the veteran it’s kind of funny. Time flies, it’ll be a fun role to have.”
• According to the website Man Games Lost, which tracks total games missed by players, the Timberwolves had the most games missed by players of any team in the NBA at 394 entering Friday. The second-highest total was the Houston Rockets at 372.
• While the Twins are supposedly in the middle of a youth movement, ESPN reported that the team is actually the seventh-oldest in all of baseball with a median age of 28.9 years old. They are the oldest team in the AL Central, with the next oldest being the Detroit Tigers at 28.5 years old, ranking 15th in the majors.
• The great play of Apple Valley’s Tyus Jones in leading Duke to the NCAA championship was reminiscent of Khalid El-Amin’s run in the 1999 NCAA tournament when the Minneapolis North product led Connecticut past Duke 77-74 for the title. Now 35, El-Amin is playing for BG Goettingen in the Germany BBL this year and is having another solid season overseas, averaging 14.2 points, 4.8 assists and 2.2 rebounds.
• The Portsmouth Invitational Tournament is taking place in Virginia this weekend and the Gophers’ Mo Walker and Andre Hollins are participating. Portsmouth gathers college seniors to showcase their ability for NBA scouts before the draft. Draft Express has Hollins listed as the 28th-best senior in the draft, though his odds of getting selected are low. Walker is rated 34th.