Yankees drop opener ...
• BALTIMORE 9, NEW YORK 2 (1st): The Yankees are making their pursuit of home field in the AL wild-card game a little more difficult. Ivan Nova allowed five runs in another shaky start, a loss to the host Orioles on Saturday in the opener of a doubleheader. Tuesday's one-game playoff would still take place at Yankee Stadium if the Yankees (87-73) defeat the Orioles in the second game or if Houston (85-75) lost at Arizona later Saturday. Otherwise, home field will be on the line in Sunday's regular-season finales.
... as do the Mets
• WASHINGTON 3, NEW YORK 1 (1st): Bryce Harper damaged the host Mets' home-field hopes, connecting in the eighth inning for his 42nd home run to lift the Nationals in the opener of a doubleheader. The Mets' fourth consecutive loss dropped them one game behind the Dodgers in the race for home-field advantage in their NL Division Series matchup next week. Mets starter Noah Syndergaard struck out 10, giving up just two hits in seven innings in what amounted to a playoff tuneup on a misty, chilly day. The doubleheader was forced by a rainout Friday night.
• MIAMI 7, PHILADELPHIA 6 (1st): Christian Yelich had a career-high five hits, Marcell Ozuna drove in the go-ahead run in the ninth inning and the Marlins won the first game of a doubleheader, ensuring the host Phillies a second consecutive last-place finish in the NL East.
• SAN FRANCISCO 3, COLORADO 2: Jake Peavy pitched five innings for his fifth consecutive victory, and rookie Kelby Tomlinson hit an inside-the-park home run during the host Giants' victory over the Rockies.
• The Pirates announced All-Star ace Gerrit Cole will start Wednesday's wild-card game against the Chicago Cubs. Cole is third in the National League with 19 wins. He went 2-1 with a 2.13 ERA in four starts against Chicago during the regular season.