Cain's homer settles score
• KANSAS CITY 7, CHICAGO 6 (13): Lorenzo Cain led off the 13th inning with a home run that boosted the Royals to victory on Saturday. The White Sox tied it in the bottom of the ninth inning on J.B. Shuck's two-out, two-run double off Royals closer Greg Holland.
•LOS ANGELES 3, BOSTON 0: Garrett Richards pitched a two-hitter and Kole Calhoun hit two homers for the Angels in Anaheim, Calif. The Red Sox have been shut out in consecutive games for the first time since 2009.
• BALTIMORE 3, DETROIT 0: Chris Tillman gave up a leadoff single to Ian Kinsler and a walk in the first inning — the only Tigers baserunners. Tillman retired the last 23 hitters and struck out eight overall.
• SEATTLE 4, NEW YORK 3: Robinson Cano was booed robustly, but blasted a pair of two-run homers against his former team at Yankee Stadium.
• TAMPA BAY 3, TORONTO 2: Curt Casali hit a tiebreaking leadoff home run in the eighth inning, lifting the Rays to victory in Toronto.
• TEXAS 7, HOUSTON 6: Rougned Odor homered and tripled, leading the Rangers' attack in their road victory.
Drought ends dramatically
• CHICAGO 4, ATLANTA 0: Jon Lester lost his bid for a no-hitter in the eighth inning but ended the longest winless streak of his career at 10 games as the Cubs beat the host Braves. A.J. Pierzynski, Lester's batterymate in Boston last year, led off the eighth with a single to right field for Atlanta's first hit. Lester struck out seven in 7⅓ innings.
• LOS ANGELES 3-4, WASHINGTON 5-2: Clayton Kershaw struck out a season-high 14 in eight shutout innings for the Dodgers in their regularly scheduled game at Nationals Park. Hours earlier, Matt den Dekker's two-run pinch homer in the eighth inning lifted the Nationals to victory in the completion of a game suspended a day earlier because of a lighting malfunction.
• ST. LOUIS 12, NEW YORK 2: Jason Heyward matched a career best with five hits and Randal Grichuk had two homers and six RBI, making things easy for winner John Lackey and the host Cardinals. Mets starter Bartolo Colon gave up seven runs in 4⅓ innings.
•SAN DIEGO 5, COLORADO 4: Clint Barmes hit a tiebreaking two-run homer in the seventh that propelled the host Padres to their fourth consecutive victory, a season high. Craig Kimbrel struck out the side in the ninth for his 25th save.
•SAN FRANCISCO 8, ARIZONA 4: Four RBI by Buster Posey helped Jake Peavy post his first victory of the season and give the Giants a 10th consecutive series victory in Arizona.
•PHILADELPHIA 3, MIAMI 1: Chad Billingsley had his best outing in nearly three years, leading the host Phillies to victory and their first two-game winning streak since a three-game streak June 21-23.
• MILWAUKEE 8, PITTSBURGH 5: Jonathan Lucroy, Aramis Ramirez and Khris Davis homered as the host Brewers pounded Vance Worley, who started after lefty Francisco Liriano was a late scratch because of a stiff neck. Worley gave up five runs in four innings.
• CLEVELAND 9, CINCINNATI 4: Michael Brantley, Brandon Moss and Yan Gomes homered — part of a rare Cleveland splurge with Corey Kluber on the mound — and the Indians ended their nine-game, four-year losing streak in Cincinnati.