Bemidji State upsets No. 2 UMD
• BEMIDJI STATE 3, MINNESOTA DULUTH 2: Charlie O’Connor’s goal with 22 seconds left gave the Beavers the win at the Sanford Center, one night after their season opener in Duluth was postponed because of a power outage. No. 2 UMD took a 1-0 lead in the second period on Andy Welinski’s shorthanded goal at 15:34, but two minutes later John Parker of Bemidi State tied the scored at 1-all on a power play. Gerry Fitzgerald made it 2-1 Beavers at 5:28 of the third, but this time the Bulldogs came back quickly on Austyn Young’s goal 28 seconds later.
• MAINE 1, NORTH DAKOTA 1 (Maine wins SO): Nolan Vesey of the Black Bears scored the only goal in a shootout with UND in the IceBreaker Invitational in Portland, Maine. Officially, though, the game will count as a tie and, No. 4 UND was named the tournament champion. It won a tiebreaker with Michigan State after both went 1-0-1. Against Maine (0-0-2), UND took a 1-0 lead on Chris Wilkie’s power-play goal at 1:32 of the middle period. Maine answered on Cam Brown’s power-play goal about seven minutes later. Shots were a one-sided 45-20 for UND, but Black Bears goalie Rob McGovern stopped 44 shots, including six in overtime.
• MICHIGAN STATE 4, LAKE SUPERIOR STATE 1: Mackenzie MacEachern scored two goals, the first on a power play in the middle of the middle period, the second 12 seconds into the third, to lead the Spartans over the Lakers (0-2) in the IceBreaker. Michael Ferrantino and J.T. Stenglein had the other goals for Michigan State while Jake Hildebrand stopped 29 of 30 shots in net. Gage Torrel had Lake Superior State’s goal late in the opening period.
• PENN STATE 6, CANISIUS 1: David Glen ad two goals and David Goodwin and Curtis Loik had one goal and two assists in the Nittany Lions rout of the host Golden Griffins. PSU goalie Eamon McAdam made 27 saves.
• BOWLING GREEN 2, OHIO STATE 0: Mark Cooper and Matt Pohlkamp scored goals in the final 10 minutes as the Falcons beat the visiting Buckeyes. Chris Nell made 25 saves for the shutout, 12 in the opening period. Matt Tomkins had 28 stops for Ohio State.
• WISCONSIN 3, NORTHERN MICHIGAN 3: For the second night in a row, the Badgers rallied to tie the Wildcats after a scoreless overtime at the Kohl Center in Madison. Northern Michigan led 3-0 after two periods. But Wisconsin scored three times in 2:46 in the middle of the third. Ryan Wagner and Luke Kunin scored power-play goals in the rally, and in between, Jedd Soleway scored at even strength. Wildcats goalie Atte Tolvanen had 41 saves, 17 in the third period.
• OMAHA 2, MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO 0: No. 6 MSU Mankato was swept at home for the first time since 2012-13 season, and it was shut out at home for the first time since March 4, 2011, against Alaska Anchorage. Evan Weninger stopped 40 shots for No. 10 UNO. Sophomore forward Jake Randolph of Duluth scored both goals on breakaways.