Makes 2 side-dish servings.
Note: We cook spinach, kale, cabbage and other greens. Why not lettuce? No need to toss any half-used bag of mixed greens or partial head of lettuce when you can sauté it. From “Waste-Free Kitchen Handbook,” by Dana Gunders.
• 1 tbsp. butter or olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• About 2 c. lettuce or mixed greens, washed, dried and cut into strips 1-in. wide
• 1/8 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 30 seconds.
Add lettuce, salt and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, until lettuce is crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 58 Fat 6 g Sodium 203 mg
Carbohydrates 2 g Saturated fat 4 g Calcium 17 mg
Protein 1 g Cholesterol 15 mg Dietary fiber 1 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 fat.
Broccoli Stalk Salad
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: Broccoli stalks can have a very woody outer layer, especially if the broccoli is large, and also toward the bottom of the stalk. Before cutting stalks into thin ribbons, use a vegetable peeler or paring knife to remove the tough skin. For a slaw effect instead, chop the broccoli and carrot rather than making slivers. From “Waste-Free Kitchen Handbook,” by Dana Gunders.
• 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
• 2 tsp. honey
• 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 4 large broccoli stalks (not the florets!), shaved with a vegetable peeler or very thinly sliced (see Note)
• 1 carrot, shaved into long, thin strips with a vegetable peeler
• 1/4 to 1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion
• 1/2 to 1 avocado, cut into 1/8-in. slices
• Small fresh basil, cilantro or parsley leaves for garnish, optional
To make the dressing: In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey and salt. Season with pepper. Measure out 2 tablespoons dressing and set aside.
To make the salad: In medium bowl, combine broccoli, carrot, onion and remaining dressing. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature to allow broccoli to soften. (Taste and adjust the seasoning with a little more vinegar, salt and pepper, if desired.)
Mound salad on plates, top with avocado and drizzle with reserved 2 tablespoons dressing. Garnish with fresh herb leaves, if desired, before serving.
Nutrition information per each of 6 servings:
Calories 136 Fat 11 g Sodium 99 mg
Carbohydrates 10 g Saturated fat 2 g Calcium 27 mg
Protein 2 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 4 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 2 fat.