Shiitake Salad With Arugula
Note: From Mario Batali.
• 1/2 lb. fresh shiitake mushrooms
• 2 bunches arugula, washed and spun dry (about 3 c.)
• 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 8 oz. chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano, for shaving
• Coarse sea salt
Preheat the grill or broiler.
Carefully cut each mushroom in half. Place on the grill or on a baking sheet under broiler and cook, turning often, until charred and softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
Place the arugula, 1/4 cup olive oil, the lemon juice and zest in large mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss to mix thoroughly. Divide the salad equally among 4 plates.
Remove the hot mushroom caps from the grill or broiler and place over the center of each salad.
Using a vegetable peeler, shave Parmigiano onto each salad, right around the mushroom cap. Spoon 1 tablespoon of remaining olive oil over each salad, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and serve immediately.