SEARED GINGER BALSAMIC SALMON WITH HOT AND SOUR SLAW
Note: A medium-bodied gewürztraminer or riesling or a light lager or ale will pair well with this spicy dish, adapted from "Simple Asian Meals" by Nina Simonds. Serve with brown rice or another whole grain.
• 1/4 c. soy sauce
• 3 tsp. salt
• 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
• 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 4 (6-oz.) pieces center-cut salmon fillet with skin, patted dry
• 1 tsp. salt
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 4 tsp. canola oil, divided
• 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
• 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 4 tbsp. minced fresh ginger, divided
• 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
• 31/2 c. (9 oz.) shredded broccoli slaw
• 2 tbsp. rice wine or sake
• 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
• 1 c. water
• 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 11/2 tbsp. light brown sugar
To make dressing, combine soy sauce, 3 teaspoons salt, granulated sugar and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
Season salmon with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Heat 2 teaspoons canola oil and the sesame oil in a wok or heavy skillet until hot but not smoking. Add red pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons ginger; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add bell pepper and toss lightly over high heat.
Add the broccoli slaw, toss lightly and pour in the rice wine. Stir and cover. Cook over medium-high heat for a minute. Uncover and add the dressing. Toss lightly and transfer to a bowl.
Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange the salmon fillets in the pan, skin side up, partially cover and sear until well browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the fish over and cook 5 to 6 minutes, until the fish flakes in the middle.
Portion some of the slaw on individual plates, and place salmon fillets on top.
Drain off any oil and reheat the frying pan with the balsamic vinegar, water, lemon juice, brown sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons ginger. Simmer over medium heat-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes until thickened and reduced to 1/3 cup. Carefully pour the glaze over the salmon.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 544 Fat 33 g Sodium 1,735 mg Sat fat 7 g
Carbohydrates 18 g Protein 40 g Cholesterol 93 mg Fiber 5 g