Portobello Mushrooms With Tuscan Kale and Sweet Potato
Makes 2 to 3 servings as main-course or 4 to 6 as appetizers.
Note: For a complete dinner, serve with a green salad. Adapted from “Eat More Greens,” by Zita Steyn (Quadrille, 2017).
• 9 oz. sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-in. dice
• 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt, plus more as needed, divided
• 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 c.)
• 1 large garlic clove, chopped
• 4 oz. Tuscan kale, thick stalks removed, leaves rinsed and coarsely chopped (about 2 c. packed; may substitute another variety of kale)
• 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese, optional (substitute vegan cheese, if preferred)
• 3/4 c. fresh or frozen/defrosted corn kernels
• 5 large or 6 medium portobello mushroom caps (about 2 oz. each)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Put the diced sweet potato in a steamer basket set over a small saucepan with an inch or two of water over medium heat. Cover and steam until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl, add 1/4 teaspoon salt, and mash with a fork.
Meanwhile, pour the oil into a deep sauté pan, over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion, garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until they have softened. Stir in the chopped kale; cook until wilted and tender and any water clinging to their leaves has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
Scrape the kale mixture into the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Stir in the grated cheese, if using, and the corn. Taste, and add more salt, as needed.
Arrange the mushroom caps, gill sides up, in a baking dish that’s just large enough to hold them. Divide the sweet potato-kale mixture equally among the mushrooms, mounding it as needed; you’ll want to use it all. Bake for 30 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the filling is slightly crisped and lightly browned on top. Serve hot.
Nutrition information per each of 3 servings:
Calories 190 Fat 6 g Sodium 420 mg
Carbohydrates 32 g Saturated fat 1 g Total sugars 10 g
Protein 7 g Cholesterol 0 mg Dietary fiber 6 g