Leek and Mushroom Cottage Pie
Serves 6 to 8.
Note: From David Tanis.
• 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
• 1 large onion, diced (about 1 1/2 c.)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 4 medium leeks, tender green and white parts, split lengthwise and cut in 1-in. pieces (about 4 c.)
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 lb. medium-brown or white mushrooms, quartered
• 1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms, caps only, sliced 1/4-in. thick
• 2 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
• 2 small garlic cloves, minced
• 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
• 2 tbsp. white miso, optional
• 2 c. whole milk
• 2 tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp. cold water
• 3 lb. russet or yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and cut in 2-in. chunks
• 1/2 c. heavy cream
• 1 c. homemade coarse dry breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to color, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add leeks, a little more salt and stir to combine. Cook mixture for about 5 minutes more, until leeks have lost their crunch, but are still green. Turn off heat.
Put olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is warm, add both kinds of mushrooms (work in batches if necessary) and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat and stir in thyme, garlic and parsley, and toss to coat.
Add mushrooms to onion-leek mixture, and turn heat to medium-high. Add miso and milk, and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water. Add cornstarch mixture to onion-leek mixture and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring, until sauce thickens. Transfer mixture to a 9- by 13-inch baking dish, and leave at room temperature.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes in salted water until very soft, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and mash with 4 tablespoons butter, then stir in cream and beat until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread mashed potatoes evenly over surface of vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and dot with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Bake for 45 minutes, until bubbling and nicely browned.
Nutrition information per each of 8 servings:
Calories 460 Fat 23 g Sodium 155 mg
Carbohydrates 58 g Saturated fat 12 g Total sugars 10 g
Protein 10 g Cholesterol 50 mg Dietary fiber 6 g
Exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 3 starch, ½ carb, 4 fat.