Grilled Chicken Breasts with Herbed Green Sauce
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: The sauce can be made up to five days ahead if covered and refrigerated. Just make sure to remove it from the refrigerator half an hour before serving.
• 5 medium garlic cloves, peeled and dark ends removed
• 1 small bunch Italian parsley, stems removed
• 1/4 c. fresh basil leaves
• 1/4 c. fresh dill leaves
• 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
• 3/4 c. olive oil
• 1/4 c. white balsamic, sherry or other white vinegar
• 1/4 c. water or chicken stock
• 1 tsp. lemon zest
• 1/4 tsp. crushed hot pepper flakes, or to taste
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 3 tbsp. Herbed Green Sauce (above)
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 3 whole medium chicken breasts, halved, boned and flattened
In a food processor fitted with metal blade, mince the garlic. Add the parsley, basil, dill and oregano, and process until finely chopped. Add the oil, vinegar, water, lemon zest and seasonings, and process. Taste for seasoning. It should be very flavorful and spicy. Adjust if necessary, and set aside.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mix until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Place the chicken breasts in a zip-top bag and pour in the marinade. Make sure the marinade is evenly distributed. Zip the bag and refrigerate for at least half an hour, or up to 4 hours.
Prepare the grill for medium-heat grilling. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill about 3 inches from the flame for 7 to 10 minutes on each side or until no pink color is showing.
Place on a platter and serve with the sauce on the side.
Nutrition information per serving of 6:
Calories 485 Fat 35 g Sodium 95 mg
Carbohydrates 4 g Saturated fat 6 g Calcium 44 mg
Protein 36 g Cholesterol 98 mg Dietary fiber 0 g
Diabetic exchanges per serving: 1 vegetable, 5 lean meat, 4 fat.