Flatbread Pizzas With Broccoli Pesto
Note: If the sun-dried tomatoes are especially dry, place them in a bowl and cover with hot water to soak for 10 minutes, then drain and cut into slivers. From Ellie Krieger.
• 2 c. cooked, chopped broccoli, defrosted if frozen
• 1 c. lightly packed basil leaves, divided
• 1/3 c. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
• 1/8 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 whole-grain flatbreads, such as pocketless pita or naan (about 7 in. in diameter, 2 oz. each)
• 6 vacuum-packed small sun-dried tomatoes, cut into slivers (see Note)
• 4 eggs
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Have 1 or 2 large baking sheets at hand.
Combine the broccoli, 2/3 cup basil, 4 tablespoons cheese, salt and pepper in a food processor. Purée to form a coarse mixture. With the motor running, drizzle in the oil and process to form a fairly smooth pesto. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
Spread the pesto evenly over each flatbread, stopping about 1/2 inch from the edge and leaving a space in the center of each one for the egg. Arrange the flatbreads on the baking sheet(s). Scatter the sun-dried tomatoes over the pesto.
Crack an egg into the center of each flatbread. Bake until the egg white is cooked but the yolk is still runny, and the bread is crisped, 9 to 10 minutes.
Cut the remaining basil into ribbons; garnish the pizzas with the basil and the remaining cheese. Serve warm.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 340 Fat 20 g Sodium 580 mg
Carbohydrates 30 g Saturated fat 5 g
Protein 22 g Cholesterol 195 mg Dietary fiber 12 g