Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. In addition to marches, ceremonies and gatherings in his honor, the holiday has become a day synonymous with high school basketball tournaments.
The most notable is the MLK Boys’ Basketball Classic at Minneapolis Henry, an all-day affair that begins at noon. Here’s the lineup of games:
• Blake vs. Cristo Rey Jesuit, noon
• Cloquet vs. Holy Family, 1:45 p.m.
• Hopkins vs. Minneapolis Henry, 3:30 p.m.
• Waconia vs. Minnehaha Academy, 5:15 p.m.
• Edina vs. Orono, 7 p.m.
Other boys’ tournaments are taking place at Minneapolis Roosevelt and Minnesota Duluth.
On the girls’ side, the Minnesota Fury AAU basketball program and St. Catherine University have teamed up for the Martin Luther King Day Classic, the biggest girls’ basketball tournament Monday.
Sixteen teams are set for an eight-game slate. The schedule:
• Andover vs. Bloomington Jefferson, 9:15 a.m.
• Forest Lake vs. Armstrong, 10:45 a.m.
• Big Lake vs. Mahtomedi, 12:15 p.m.
• White Bear Lake vs. Prior Lake, 1:45 p.m.
• Cretin Derham-Hall vs. Norwood Young America, 3:15 p.m.
• Glencoe-Silver Lake vs. Somerset (Wis.), 5 p.m.
• Waseca vs. Kasson-Mantorville, 6:30 p.m.
• Hutchinson vs. Winona, 8 p.m.
Outside of the Monday tournaments, here’s a look at some of the more notable games for the rest of the week:
• Minnetonka vs. Edina, at Braemar, 7 p.m.
• Blake vs. St. Paul United, at Drake Arena, 7 p.m.
• Breck vs. Hill-Murray, at Aldrich, 7:30 p.m.
• Centennial at Eden Prairie, 7 p.m.
• Minnetonka at Stillwater, 5:30 p.m.
• St. Michael-Albertville vs. Holy Family, at Victoria, 7 p.m.
• Elk River at Maple Grove, 7 p.m.
• Eden Prairie at Stillwater, outdoors at Lowell Park, 1 p.m.
• Burnsville at Lakeville South, 3 p.m.