NEW YORK - As Scott Pelley marks his first year as anchor of the "CBS Evening News," he's got his eye on the top of the mountain.
"I've got a lot of confidence that we're going to bring this broadcast to No. 1," said Pelley, whose first evening newscast was June 6, 2011.
That would definitely be an achievement for CBS News, where the division's signature broadcast has been a consistent third behind NBC and ABC dating back to the late 1990s — through anchors Dan Rather, Bob Schieffer, Katie Couric and now Pelley.
He still has a way to go, but the trend line is positive. His newscast has averaged 6.03 million viewers a night during the past year, up from 5.72 million for the previous year, according to the Nielsen Co. Ratings leader Brian Williams at NBC's "Nightly News" has seen his average audience slip from 8.65 million to 8.49 million in the same period. ABC's "World News," anchored by Diane Sawyer, went from 7.68 million to 7.53 million.
During a light month for news in May, all three networks saw their ratings drop compared to May 2011. While CBS lost an average of 121,000 viewers from last May, NBC lost 1.07 million and ABC 737,000, Nielsen said.
Last week CBS came within 44,000 viewers of ABC among the 25-to-54-year-old demographic, the basis for many ad sales for newscasts, and tied in the household ratings for that category.
Pelley said his first priority was to set a new tone for the newscast, wanting it to be a place where a viewer could tune in and feel connected to the most important stories in the world each day. It has concentrated heavily on jobs and the economy and now the European economic crisis, said Patricia Shevlin, the broadcast's executive producer. One example this week was a story by reporter Clarissa Ward on economic problems in Spain.
Pelley said he believes the broadcast has improved in all facets and tapped into a reservoir of talent at CBS News.