COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State University said Monday it is planning an individual settlement program that could help resolve more of the remaining claims over alleged sexual misconduct by Richard Strauss, the team doctor accused of abusing hundreds of young men during his two decades there.
In court filings, it revealed its intent to launch an "individual settlement program" this month for plaintiffs from five of the ongoing lawsuits, and said it's committed to providing an average settlement of up to about $252,000 per person. That's also the average of the nearly $47 million in settlements reached previously for 185 of the plaintiffs.
The program might provide a way for some of the remaining accusers to resolve their case and end their involvement even if others continue their litigation.
Messages seeking comment were left for some of the lead plaintiffs and lawyers in the remaining cases.
Ohio State has publicly apologized for school officials' failure to stop Strauss during his tenure despite receiving complaints about him. It pledged a "monetary resolution" for those he harmed.
Roughly 400 men sued the university during the past three years over its failure to stop Strauss despite students raising concerns with school employees as early as 1979. Many of the men said they were groped during exams.
Strauss died in 2005. No one has publicly defended him since the accusations came to light.
Enrollment in the individual settlement program would be open over the next four months. It would be administered by the same person who has overseen the previous settlements in the matter, Ohio State spokesperson Benjamin Johnson said.
Through the program, "Ohio State continues its effort to reconcile and restore the bond between itself and its former students and alumni who were impacted by Strauss, and join with them in the healing process," Michael Carpenter, a lawyer representing Ohio State, said in a filing.
It didn't say how plans for the additional settlement program came about or why it was being offered now, and Johnson said he couldn't provide that information.
An investigation conducted for the school by a law firm found that Strauss' sexual misconduct under the guise of medical care spanned his two decades there and his work with various athletic teams, a student health center and his off-campus clinic.
Last month, twenty-three new plaintiffs sued Ohio State, including the first female plaintiff to file claims about Strauss. The anonymous plaintiff, who attended Ohio State from 1994 to 1998, alleges Strauss once "excessively fondled" her during an exam.
The individual settlement program doesn't include those new plaintiffs, Johnson said.