Frederick M. Mann
Mann Frederick M., Oct. 30, 1913 - April 21, 2002. Born in Minneapolis, Mr. Mann received his B.A. in architecture from the University of Minnesota, and his M.A. from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In Boston, Mr. Mann worked for the architectural firm Stone & Webster. He was a Navy lieutenant during WWII, stationed in Brazil as Chief Engineer of ship repair and re-servicing. After the war, Mr. Mann worked for Ernest Kump in San Francisco and then opened his own architectural practice with Eugene Crawford in San Rafael. He moved to Seattle in 1954 and worked for Richardson Associates for the first five years. In 1959, Mr. Mann was appointed University Architect for the Univ. of Washington, serving until 1969 and also helping to found the national Association of University Architects. He remained active until his passing as a consultant for various city parks and other governmental projects. Fred Mann will be fondly remembered for his prominent role in the planting of cherry trees in ``the Quad'' on the Univ. of Washington campus, and for redesigning the grounds at Fort Lawton for public use when the land became the property of the City of Seattle and was renamed Discovery Park. He is survived by his wife, Mia; his four children, Grace Smith, Mary Gregory, Frederick T. Mann and Richard Mann; five grandchildren, and one great-grandchild. At his request, there will be no services. Arr. with Kass Funeral Home, Bainbridge Island, WA.
Published on April 23, 2002
Star Tribune reviews all guest book entries to ensure appropriate content.
Our staff does not correct grammar or spelling. FAQ