PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A new video from the day of the Brown University shooting that killed two students and injured nine others was released Monday, with city officials saying they had withheld other footage and redacted the most graphic, violent images to avoid harming victims.
''This was a difficult process to both maintain our commitment to transparency, to respond to requests from the media and the public's right to know exactly what happened, but also balancing what we know are potential, really serious downside effects of releasing some of this information,'' Providence Mayor Brett Smiley said at a news conference.
News outlets across the U.S. and other countries had been requesting body camera footage, audio clips and other public records shortly after the shooting took place in mid-December.
Material shows police response to the shooting
The newly released material includes audio of a campus police officer calling city police at 4:07 p.m. ''This is Brown police. We have confirmed gunshots at 184 Hope Street,'' the officer said. ''We do have a victim but we do not know where they are.''
Four minutes later, campus police called back with an update: ''We have a suspect description, wearing all black and a ski mask, unknown travel direction.''
Separately, the city released roughly 20 minutes of body camera footage of the officer in charge of the initial response to the shooting. The heavily redacted footage shows a chaotic and confusing scene of officers not knowing if the shooter was still in the building and attempts to quickly find a safe spot to send the students evacuated from the building. Scattered backpacks, gloves and other items can be seen as officers scour the building looking for a possible shooter and victims.
''Let's get these rescues in, where are we staging rescue?'' the officer, who was not identified, says in the video.