ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — New Mexico's attorney general has reopened an investigation into Jeffrey Epstein 's former Zorro Ranch, as allegations swirl about what role the secluded spot played in sexual abuse or sex trafficking of underage girls and young women.
Attorney General Raúl Torrez's office said Thursday that the decision was made after reviewing information recently released by the U.S. Justice Department.
Although New Mexico's initial case was closed in 2019 at the request of federal prosecutors in New York, state prosecutors say now that ''revelations outlined in the previously sealed FBI files warrant further examination.''
The New Mexico Department of Justice said special agents and prosecutors at the agency will be seeking immediate access to the complete, unredacted federal case file and intend to work with other law enforcement partners as well as a new truth commission established by state lawmakers to look into activities at the ranch.
''As with any potential criminal matter, we will follow the facts wherever they lead, carefully evaluate jurisdictional considerations, and take appropriate investigative action, including the collection and preservation of any relevant evidence that remains available,'' the New Mexico Department of Justice said in a statement.
The investigation was one of several major developments in the continuing fallout from the release of the federal government's so-called Epstein files. Earlier Thursday, British police arrested the former Prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct in public office related to his links to the late sex offender.
Renewed efforts to investigate the sex trafficking allegations
In Washington, D.C., members of Congress are still working to lift the veil with more testimony from powerful people.