New York

Escapee Sweat is returned to prison

The surviving escapee from a prison break and three-week manhunt will spend 23 hours a day in a maximum-security cell, much more confined than before he and fellow murder convict Richard Matt managed to escape, officials said Sunday. David Sweat, who was shot and wounded during his June 28 capture, was taken early ­Sunday from Albany Medical Center to the infirmary at the Five Points prison in the central New York town of Romulus. Matt was killed June 26 by a federal agent.

North Carolina

17 out of hospital after deck collapse

Nails deteriorated by years of exposure to the sand, salt and moisture gave way, causing a deck collapse that hurt 24 people as they posed for a picture at a beachfront home. The deck was likely up to code when the house was built in 1986, but the nearly 30-year-old nails simply fell apart under the weight of the people standing on a small part of the deck Saturday night, Emerald Isle town officials said in a news release Sunday. Twenty-four people of an extended family were injured when they fell about 10 feet. The ages of those injured ranged from 5 to 94; five remained in the ­hospital with two still in critical condition


2 dead, 3 missing after boat capsizes

Two people were killed and three remained missing after the pontoon boat they were riding in hit a barge and capsized in the Ohio River. Louisville Fire Chief Greg Frederick said nine people were aboard the boat and that four were rescued after the accident shortly before 10 p.m. Saturday. He said three of those rescued were children who were wearing life jackets. Frederick said the fatalities include one adult and one child. A child was also among the missing.


Boy, 7, killed in Chicago shooting

A 7-year-old boy who was celebrating July 4th with his family was among three people who were shot and killed overnight in Chicago. Police say 7-year-old Amari Brown was shot after someone opened fire just before midnight in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. A 26-year-old man was fatally shot in the Albany Park neighborhood and a 26-year-old man was gunned down in the South Shore neighborhood.


Man shoots firework from head and dies

A young man who was drinking and celebrating July 4th tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself. Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off. The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly.

news services