Search for missing Marines continues

Search and rescue efforts continue for 12 Marines missing after their helicopters collided. A high surf warning off Oahu was hindering the search and dispersing crash debris. Two helicopters, each carrying six Marines, went down Thursday. Minnesota native Sgt. Dillon Semolina, a Delano High School graduate, was among the missing.


Cleaning plant spill results in death

A spill at a chemical plant in Pasadena left one person dead and three hurt. Pasadena police said the accident was at the PeroxyChem Bayport Plant. Police spokesman Vance Mitchell had no information on what caused about 1,000 gallons of an oil-based cleaning solution to spill from a tank. One person suffered a broken arm, while two others were treated for exposure.


Chicago police called before grand jury

Nearly two dozen Chicago Police Department employees have been called to testify before a federal grand jury investigating the 2014 death of black teenager Laquan McDonald, who was shot 16 times by white police officer Jason Van Dyke. Among them are four officers whose initial accounts of the confrontation conflict with squad car video showing McDonald walking away from officers.


Homeless man in viral video has a job

The once-homeless man whose silky voice turned him into an Internet sensation five years ago is back on the air at the radio station where he started a broadcasting career that was derailed by drug and alcohol addiction. Ted Williams recently returned to WKVO-AM — his first steady job since 1993. By 2014, despite instant fame, he was living in an apartment with no furniture and no explanation for what happened to a $395,000 advance for his 2012 memoir.


Owner united with roaming Chihuahua

A lost dog from Texas was reunited with its owner after being found 800 miles away in Georgia. The five-pound Chihuahua named Coco was reunited with his owner, Amanda Benton, who traveled from Arlington, Texas, to Atlanta to fetch him. A Humane Society volunteer found the missing dog and tracked down Benton through a microchip. The dog had been missing since September.

News services