Sierra Leone

Ebola fears send U.S. aid workers home

Several U.S. aid workers, among at least 10 who might have come into contact with the Ebola virus in Sierra Leone, have left Africa. They will be the most Americans who have returned home over fears of exposure to the virus since an outbreak in three West African countries was declared last year. Another American aid worker, who was showing signs of illness, arrived in the United States on Friday, hours after a colleague with Ebola was flown from Sierra Leone to the clinical center of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. That patient, a clinician who was not identified, tested positive for the virus Tuesday, and investigators feared that he had exposed others.


Elderly nun raped by bandits at school

A nun in her 70s was gang-raped by a group of bandits when she tried to prevent them from robbing a Christian missionary school in eastern India. It was the latest crime to focus attention on sexual violence in the country. The nun was hospitalized in serious condition after being attacked by seven or eight men at the Convent of Jesus and Mary School in Nadia district. The men escaped, and police were searching for them. The robbers tied the school's security guards with ropes and entered the nuns' room, where the women were sleeping. They took one of the nuns to another room when she tried to block their way and then raped her. The woman who was attacked is either 71 or 72 and is the oldest nun at the school.


Valor medal renamed for slain officer

The Philadelphia Police Department is renaming its valor medal for an officer who took on two armed robbers and continued firing until he was mortally wounded, the police commissioner said at the slain officer's funeral. Commissioner Charles Ramsey called the actions of officer Robert Wilson III inside at a north Philadelphia video game store the greatest act of bravery he's seen in his 46-year career. Mayor Michael Nutter said he's struggling to comprehend the senseless loss of the city's 10th officer killed in the line of duty in the past 9 years. Nutter said the 30-year-old Wilson fought valiantly to save patrons and staff members at the store after two brothers opened fire on March 5.

News services