BANGKOK — Myanmar 's military government ordered East Timor 's senior diplomat to leave the country after judicial authorities from the fellow Southeast Asian country accepted a criminal complaint against Myanmar's armed forces, state media said Monday.
The move sharply escalates tensions between the two countries and is a rare step between members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, which East Timor joined only last year.
There was no immediate response from East Timor's government to efforts to contact it by phone and online for comment.
East Timor, also known as Timor Leste, is Asia's youngest nation. It gained independence from Indonesia in 2002.
A statement from Myanmar's Foreign Ministry, published in the state-run Myanma Alinn newspaper, said East Timor's President José Ramos-Horta engaged in mid-January with the members of the Chin Human Rights Organization, which documents alleged abuses especially in Myanmar's northwestern Chin state.
It said Ramos-Horta's government accepted a criminal complaint filed by the CHRO against senior members of Myanmar's military and appointed a senior prosecutor for the group to examine the case, despite what it described as strong condemnation conveyed through diplomatic channels.
Myanmar's Foreign Ministry on Friday informed Elisio do Rosario de Sousa, the charge d'affaires of East Timor's Embassy in Yangon, to leave the country no later than Feb. 20, the statement said.
The CHRO, a rights group representing the Chin ethnic minority, said in a Feb. 2 statement that East Timor's judicial authorities had opened legal proceedings against Myanmar's military administration, including its leader Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity.