TEL AVIV, Israel — Doctors Without Borders has announced the suspension of some operations at one of Gaza 's largest functioning hospitals after patients and staff reported seeing armed, masked men roaming parts of the building.
Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis is one of the territory's few functioning hospitals. Hundreds of patients and war-wounded have been treated there daily, and the facility was a hub for Palestinian prisoners released by Israel in exchange for Israeli hostages as part of the current ceasefire deal.
It was a rare announcement by an international organization about the presence of armed men in a medical facility in Gaza since the war began over two years ago.
The aid group also known by its acronym MSF said in a statement all its noncritical medical operations at Nasser Hospital were suspended due to security breaches that posed ''serious" threats to its teams and patients. MSF said there had been an increase in patients and staff seeing armed men in parts of the compound since the U.S.-brokered October ceasefire was reached.
''MSF teams have reported a pattern of unacceptable acts including the presence of armed men, intimidation, arbitrary arrests of patients and a recent situation of suspicion of movement of weapons,'' it said.
While the suspension occurred in January, it was first disclosed in MSF's ''frequently asked questions'' section on its website. It's unclear when the post was made, but the site said it was updated Feb. 11.
Attacks on health facilities
MSF said it wasn't able to indicate the armed men's affiliation. It said it had expressed concern to the ''relevant'' authorities, without elaborating, stressing that hospitals must remain neutral, civilian spaces. It said its concerns were heightened by previous, deliberate Israeli attacks on health facilities.