Advertisement

MPR cuts newsroom staff by 13%

The company said it will focus on investigative and feature reporting.

July 24, 2015 at 12:54AM
Advertisement

Minnesota Public Radio on Thursday laid off nine journalists and said two empty positions would not be filled, a 13 percent cut in one of the state's largest news organizations.

The company, a unit of St. Paul-based American Public Media, told employees in a memo earlier this month that job cuts were under consideration.

A spokeswoman declined to identify who was laid off. Others said that veteran arts reporter Chris Roberts was among the group.

The changes are "part of a series of decisions to reallocate our human and financial resources within our organization," the spokeswoman said. "While some of these changes are difficult, we believe the steps we are taking will ensure that MPR News remains a relevant, vital and trusted source of news and information for the people we serve."

She said MPR plans to invest more in investigative and enterprise reporting, long-term editorial priorities and on-demand services. It was unclear whether that will eventually translate to new jobs.

Chris Worthington, who has served as managing editor for MPR News for nine years, will move into a new role as managing editor and editor-in-chief of a newly formed investigations and documentary unit.

Mike Reszler, MPR's vice president for innovation and digital strategy and content, was named interim head of MPR News. A national search for a permanent head of MPR News is underway.

American Public Media earlier this month sold Classical South Florida, a group of three FM stations.

Advertisement

Neal Justin • 612-673-7431

about the writer

about the writer

Neal Justin

Critic / Reporter

Neal Justin is the pop-culture critic, covering how Minnesotans spend their entertainment time. He also reviews stand-up comedy. Justin previously served as TV and music critic for the paper. He is the co-founder of JCamp, a non-profit program for high-school journalists, and works on many fronts to further diversity in newsrooms.

See Moreicon

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement