Capitals overcome deficits to beat Sabres in shootout
BUFFALO, N.Y. – Evgeny Kuznetsov scored in regulation and the lone goal in the shootout to lead the Washington Capitals to a 4-3 win over the last-place Buffalo Sabres on Monday night.
Matt Niskanen had two assists for the Capitals, who overcame a pair of one-goal deficits. Curtis Glencross and Mike Green also scored for Washington (38-23-10), which matched last season’s win total.
Braden Holtby made 30 saves in his 14th consecutive start and was coming off a 2-0 shutout over Boston on Sunday. Johan Larsson tied the score with 6:10 left in the third.
• FIRST TIME: Andy Andrehoff’s first NHL goal, and point, was the game winner for the host Kings in a 1-0 victory over the Coyotes.
• STAMKOS LEADS CHARGE: Steven Stamkos scored two goals with an assist for the host Lightning as it beat the Canadiens 4-2.
• NO MORE SLIDING: Benoit Pouilot scored two goals as the host Oilers ended a seven-game losing streak with a 4-1 win over the Maple Leafs.
• ST. LOUIS OUT: The New York Rangers will be without forward Martin St. Louis for 10 to 14 days due to a right knee ailment.
• SABRES MAKE THE CALL: The Buffalo Sabres recalled defenseman Chad Ruhwedel from the minors to address their banged-up blue line.