Advertisement

MLB notes: Jose Quintana stays in Chicago, going from White Sox to Cubs

The Associated Press
July 14, 2017 at 2:14AM
Advertisement

The Chicago Cubs, scuffling and inconsistent since winning the World Series, acquired ace Jose Quintana from the White Sox on Thursday in a major trade between crosstown rivals.

Trailing Milwaukee by 5½ games in the NL Central at 43-45, the Cubs shook things up in a big way by acquiring Quintana, a 2016 All-Star. In exchange, the Cubs sent four prospects to the rebuilding White Sox: outfielder Eloy Jimenez, righthanded pitcher Dylan Cease and infielders Matt Rose and Bryant Flete.

The lefthanded Quintana is 4-8 with a 4.49 ERA in 18 starts this season. He won a career-high 13 games last season with a personal-best 3.20 ERA while making his first All-Star team and is 50-54 with a 3.51 since debuting with the White Sox in 2012.

Quintana has pitched better lately after a slow start and is under club control through 2020.

"He's a true professional who had to deal with everything from poor run support to the bullpen occasionally letting him down, the defense letting him down," White Sox General Manager Rick Hahn said. "He certainly never complained, never threw his arms up in the air, never rolled his eyes, never expressed any displeasure with his teammates. Instead, he was always supportive and continued to go about his business and set a wonderful example for the other young players in our clubhouse.

"Frankly, the call to Jose this morning was one of the more difficult ones I've made."

The Cubs were looking to boost a rotation that ranks 17th in the majors in ERA.

Hahn said he and Theo Epstein, Cubs president of baseball operations, exchanged text messages shortly after the draft. There wasn't much communication between them until Hahn reached out Sunday.

Advertisement

Hahn told Epstein at that point any trade would have to involve Jimenez and Cease. Talks heated up over the next few days before the teams agreed to a blockbuster deal.

Etc.

• White Sox reliever Nate Jones underwent season-ending arm surgery. Sidelined since April 28 because of inflammation in his right elbow, he experienced discomfort during a throwing session last week. Hahn said the issue stems from Tommy John elbow surgery Jones had in 2014.

• The Tampa Bay Rays placed injured outfielder Colby Rasmus (hip tendinitis) on the restricted list after Rasmus' decision to "step away from baseball." The team did not provide specifics Thursday, instead saying in a brief statement that the club fully supports the player deciding to leave.

about the writer

about the writer

More from Minnesota Star Tribune

See More
card image
Provided/Sahan Journal

Family members and a lawyer say they have been blocked from access to the bedside of Bonfilia Sanchez Dominguez, while her husband was detained and shipped to Texas within 24 hours.

card image
Advertisement