Freshman Pat Fredrickson pitched seven scoreless innings and Ben Mezzenga hit a two-run single in the fifth inning as the Gophers beat Nebraska 2-0 Sunday in Lincoln to win their first Big Ten baseball series of the season two games to one.
Fredrickson struck out six and walked one in improving his record to 3-0 and lowered his ERA to 1.72. Max Meyer, another freshman, threw the final two innings for his sixth save for the Gophers (16-9).
Scott Schreiber had two of the four hits for the Cornhuskers (13-11).
U softball rolls
Sophomore righthander Amber Fiser threw a two-hitter and struck out eight as the Gophers softball team routed Northwestern 8-0 in five innings in Evanston, Ill., ending the Wildcats' 10-game winning streak.
Danielle Parlich led Minnesota's attack with four RBI on a two-run double and two sacrifice flies. MaKenna Partain had a two-run double as the Gophers (18-13, 1-2 Big Ten) won the third game of the series after losing the first two on the last at-bat by Northwestern (19-9, 2-1).
• Defenseman Will Borgen of St. Cloud State signed a three-year entry level contract with the Buffalo Sabres, giving up his senior year of eligibility. He will finish this season playing for Buffalo's minor league affiliate in Rochester, N.Y. Borgen, of Moorhead, Minn., was selected in the fourth round of the 2015 draft.
• Minnesota State Mankato senior center C.J. Suess signed a one-year entry-level contract with the Winnipeg Jets. The two-year captain from Forest Lake had 57 goals and 127 points in his college career.
• Hamline women's gymnastics coach Doug Byrnes was named the National Collegiate Gymnastics Association's national coach of the year. Byrnes led the Pipers to a fourth-place finish at the NCGA meet earlier this month.
• The Gophers men's tennis team beat visiting Nebraska 6-1. The women's team lost 5-2 at Indiana.
• Ali Beltz scored twice and Rachel Miller had 14 saves as Minnesota Premier Prep Green beat Minnesota Premier Prep Black 3-1 in the inaugural girls hockey high school championship game at the USA Nationals at the Plymouth Ice Center.