Dance coaches from Eastview and Chaska have been disciplined for their involvement in a protest at the high school dance team tournament in February, officials said Tuesday.
Eastview coach Jenny Raiche and Chaska coach Kris Rydland received letters of reprimand and were suspended for the first two meets next season, according to spokesmen in their district.
Five coaches from the Eden Prairie team, also involved in the protest, "have made the decision not to continue on in their coaching roles," school district spokeswoman Jaclyn Swords said. Their departures were not the result of disciplinary action, she said.
Eden Prairie has hired Jessica Howells to fill its vacant head coaching position.
Dancers and coaches protested during the awards ceremony after Faribault's Class 3A title-winning routine, which had drawn complaints for plagiarism. The incident spawned a huge public outcry and led to an investigation by a Minneapolis law firm.
Previously, Wayzata coach Leslie Swiggum received a letter of reprimand and a two-meet suspension. Written reprimands were given to Lakeville South dance team coach Genevieve Adler, five assistant coaches and school activities director Neil Strader.
• Sophomore Toby Anderson had a no-hitter for 6⅓ innings as the Gophers edged Kansas State 5-0 on Tuesday at Siebert Field. Tyler Wolfe got the lone hit off Anderson — in his seven innings — on a big-hop grounder that just got past second baseman Connor Schaefbauer. Two relievers finished the game without allowing another hit. Tony Skjefte tripled and scored on Micah Coffey's sacrifice fly in the second inning for Minnesota's first run. Matt Halloran hit a solo homer in the fifth and Jordan Smith a two-run homer in the seventh. Halloran also had an RBI on a sacrifice fly in the eighth.
• The Gophers men's tennis team (20-7) received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Minnesota will play Princeton (19-7) at 9 a.m. on May 8 in a four-team regional in Charlottesville, Va.
• The Gophers (41-8, 15-3) softball team is ranked No. 9 in the USA Softball rankings this week and No. 13 in the NFCA poll. Minnesota plays a doubleheader at Wisconsin starting at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Forward Adrienne Richardson of Minnesota Thunder Academy committed to play soccer at Louisiana State. Richardson, a sophomore at Tartan, picked LSU over the Gophers.
• Sophomore Jose Mendez, who tied for fifth in the Big Ten golf tournament, was named to the all-conference first team.