The Timberwolves are nearing a deal to keep Shabazz Muhammad, who is a free agent.
ESPN reported Muhammad, who spent the past four seasons in Minnesota, has agreed in principle to the league minimum ($1.6 million) to rejoin the Wolves. The 24-year-old guard, the 14th pick in the 2013 draft, has averaged 9.7 points in his career.
Taking a lesser deal with the Wolves would enable Muhammad to become a free agent next year, but also would enable the Wolves to retain his Bird rights and sign him to a long-term deal above the salary cap.
U spiker honored by ESPNW
Freshman opposite hitter Stephanie Samedy of the Gophers was named ESPNW's national volleyball player of the week. She had 43 kills and hit .313 as the Gophers won the American Campus Classic, beating three teams, including host and then-No. 5 Texas 3-1.
• Junior outside hitter Taylor Reiss of Southwest Minnesota State and senior middle blocker Taylor Linn of Augsburg were named the AVCA's Division II and III players of the week, respectively.
Wild prospects lose
The Carolina Hurricanes beat the Wild 5-0 in the third-place game of the NHL prospects tournament in Traverse City, Mich. The Hurricanes scored three goals in the first 11:30 of the final period to break a scoreless tie and added two empty-netters.
• The Gophers women's hockey was named the WCHA favorite, edging Wisconsin by one point in the coaches' preseason poll.
• The Gophers women's golf team placed ninth out of 14 teams in the Minnesota Invitational at Prestwick Golf Club in Woodbury.
• Jesse Bull shot a 71 for a two-round total of 140 and a one-shot lead in the MGA Mid-Amateur Championship at Southview Country Club in West St. Paul.
• Safeties Dallas Raftevold of Concordia (Moorhead) and Nick Swore of Northwestern (St. Paul) were named to the D3Football.com team of the week.