Gophers goalie Eric Schierhorn was named the Big Ten first star of the week after leading No. 5 Minnesota to its first sweep of the year last weekend, 3-1 and 2-1 over then-No. 9 Clarkson. The native of Anchorage, Alaska, stopped 44 of 46 shots in the series.
The junior has started all 83 games in a row since arriving on campus — a figure that leads all active NCAA goaltenders and ranks seventh all-time in NCAA history.
U golf coach moves up
John Carlson, the Gophers men’s golf coach the past six years, will become the director of men’s golf for the Gophers.
Assistant coach Justin Smith, a former Gopher golfer, will become head coach.
Carlson took over the Gopher program in 2011 and led Minnesota to three consecutive top three finishes in the Big Ten, including winning the 2014 team title.
“I have loved coaching the golf team at Minnesota for the past six years,” Carlson said, “but I’m very excited to move into a more administrative role with the program.”
• Minnesota State Mankato senior forward Zeb Knutson was named the WCHA’s offensive player of the week and senior defenseman Clint Lewis the defensive player of the week.
• Junior defenseman Jimmy Schuldt of St. Cloud State was named the National Collegiate Hockey Conference’s player of the month. He had four goals and six assists as the Huskies went 5-0. North Dakota freshman forward Grant Mismash of Edina was named the NCHC’s rookie of the week after scoring twice in a 6-4 win over Colorado College on Saturday.
• Kory Miller of Apple Valley and Shelby Fritz of Elk River finished as the top boy and girl based on average scores in the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League’s fall season.
• St. Cloud State was picked to win the league in the NSIC preseason wrestling coaches’ poll. Upper Iowa was picked second.
• Gustavus is No. 7 and St. Thomas is No. 8 in both the D3hockey.com and USCHO.com women’s hockey polls this week.
• Bethel defensive end Kyle Kilgore and St. Thomas defensive back Chris Fondakowski were among the 27 players named to the D3football.com’s team of the week.